[b-greek] Re: The usage of TOU + Infinitive in Gal 3:10

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@saint.soongsil.ac.kr)
Date: Sun Dec 03 2000 - 20:50:37 EST

I think what Alan tries to say makes sense. It is especially so when we
look at the Hebbrew text behind Gal 3:12:

Lev 18:5
 BAHEM WAKAI HAADAM OTAM YAASEH ASHER
 in-them then lives-he the-man them does which

(Which if man does he will live in them)

 It is translated as follows:

 hO POIHSAS AUTA ZHSETAI EN AUTOIS

"If man does [which], he will live in them" is translated to
"the one doing them will live in them".

Here YAASEH (does) is in imperfective. The imperfective situation is
expressed by the aorist participial clause hO POIHSAS AUTA in Gal 3:12.

I wonder why the translators of LXX did not translate the imperfective
situation expressed by the clause ASHER YAASEH OTAM into

hO POIWN AUTA.

My guess is that the imperfective situation of ASHER YAASHE OTAM does
not emphasize the on-goingness of the situation, rather points to the
potentiality of the situation as a whole. The situation as a whole is
best expressed by the aorist in Greek. The aorist does not necessarily
refer to the completion of the situation. So, translating hO POIHAS AUTA
into "the one who gets them performed" seems reading too much into the
passage.

Moon

Moon-Ryul Jung
Associate Professor