[b-greek] Re: Principal Parts

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Sat Dec 09 2000 - 10:42:34 EST

<x-flowed>
At 15:03 09/12/00, Carl W. Conrad wrote:

>Yes, I've just checked it out again and find it shows up the font (Mounce)
>on my computer at home, where I have Mounce installed in the system--but it
>didn't show up at the office, where I don't have Mounce installed. I also
>found that the font has been removed from Mounce's web-site at teknia.com.

Once more, from the top.

A .PDF file does not need to have installed on the remote computer any of
the fonts used in the document. As I said in my previous posting, a .PDF
file is actually a graphic file in a proprietary format, which can be read,
paged through, zoomed, up or down, and all the other things one can do with
a graphic file. To make a .PDF file, you need an expensive piece of
software, to read it only a free reader is needed.

So, to read a .PDF file without any "foreign" fonts installed on the
computer, download the free reader, and install it, (preferably in the root
directory for a PC). Subsequently, when you encounter a .PDF file in your
web browser, clicking on the file will automatically load your Acrobat
Reader -- or it can be downloaded for later perusal..

There are readers for a wide variety of operating systems:
go to http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readersystemreqs.html to check
on your particular system ( and check also on the the inevitably ballooning
system resources needed for each successive version ). Note too that the
download size will be bigger for a version with search, and that as I
pointed out this is not the conventional "search" facility but dependent on
the maker of the file including an index. So usually the smaller,
non-search, version is quite adequate.

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros@iol.ie