[b-greek] Re: Principal Parts---PDF Files

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Sat Dec 09 2000 - 13:08:18 EST

<x-flowed>
At 17:16 09/12/00, Steve Puluka wrote:

>PDF is not a graphic format but a proprietary display technology that does
>not always require the fonts in use in the document to be installed in the
>viewer system. The settings one uses to create the PDF file determine
>whether or not a font is embedded at all in a file and how much of the
>embedded font is included in the PDF file.

Folks, the faint sound you hear across thousands of miles of ocean is that
of great breast-beating just south of Dublin. Mea maxima culpa.

To Steve, my thanks for that clarification
To Carl, and to the rest of the list my apologies -- in mitigation I can
only say that of the hundreds of .PDF files on my H.D I have never come
across one that doesn't display "exotic" fonts correctly, even in not
included in my Windows\fonts sub-directory.

Having now removed my Mounce__.ttf font and re-booted, I can duplicate what
Carl was seeing.

>Refer to the font embedding instructions of Acrobat Distiller or Exchange
>for further information.

I cannot afford all that expensive software, alas, Steve <g> but from your
posting I now realise that the originator of a .PDF file has the same
choices as I have when I send a Microsoft Word document to a friend who
doesn't have the particular fonts I've used on his machine: I can "embedd"
the entire font in the .DOC file ( and make the file size much bigger ) or
I can "embedd" just the characters used in the document.

I must say I am surprised to find that Rod chose not to format his file
with even this latter minimal addition. I've just had an off-list message
from a b-greeker who doesn't have the Mounce font, and cannot read this
most useful little aid.

As Carl pointed out, the Mounce font is no longer available on the Teknia
site, and so the many links to be found on .edu web pages no longer function.
However, at http://ns.winsite.net/info/pc/win3/misc/fwwin10b.zip/
Windows users can find a shareware program " a flashcard program for
learning foreign languages" which includes the MOUNCE__.TTF font. The
zipped file is quite small, just under 200 Kb.

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros@iol.ie