[b-greek] Re: articular infinitives

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Sat Dec 09 2000 - 22:48:56 EST

Steven R. Lo Vullo wrote;

>I understand the above. What I was really driving at had more to do with how
>to *describe* the relationship of EN to the following words. I'm working on
>some syntax charts that include a short description of the function of each
>word in the text. So I want to be able to fill in the blank in the following
>sentence: EN governs ______. Would I fill in the blank with TWi KRINESQAI
>SE, KRINESQAI SE, or just KRINESQAI? Is TWi, for example, considered as
>part of the object of EN or just as a modifier of KRINESQAI?

KAQAPER GEGRAPTAI: hOPWS AN DIKAIWQHS EN TOIS LOGOIS SOU KAI NIKHSEIS
(v.l.-SHS) EN TWi KRINESQAI SE.

The preposition EN governs TWi + the infinitive in the same way that it
would govern the article + noun. SE relates to the infinitive as the
subject.

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College