[b-greek] Re: F. Danker's Definitions

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Dec 10 2000 - 20:32:26 EST

on 12/10/00 3:15 PM, Steven R. Lo Vullo wrote:

> "literally, one who leads on a path *guide, escort, leader* (AC 1.16);
> figuratively, one acting as instructor of the ignorant or inexperienced
> *guide, leader* (MT 23.16)"
>
> As with the above two lexicons, there are definitions followed by glosses.
> Unlike L-N, Friberg does not just resort to a definition that is little more
> than a gloss transformed into a definition; unlike BDAG it is made
> explicitly clear that the second definition is a figurative one and that the
> guidance in view is that of instruction. So in my opinion it has them both
> beat.

Steve,

Actually,

(don't you hate replies that start with Actually . . . :-)))))

Actually,

Danker includes under the second definition (abbreviated):

2) one who assists another in following a path, guide, leader...
in imagery (Wsd 7:15; 18:3; Jos. Ant. 1, 217) hODHGOS TUFLWN "a guide for
the blind" Rom. 2:19 . . . blind leaders of the blind Mt 15:14 ... k.t.l.

And Louw & Nida under 36.4 (abbreviated) also cover this:

36.4 hODHGOS one who guides or leads ‹ Œleader, guide.ı . . . Œyou are
sure that you are a guide for the blindı Ro 2:19. In Ro 2:19 the context is
figurative in the sense that Œthe blindı are those who are spiritually
blind, and the guidance which they require is a proper understanding of the
truth in terms of how they should behave.

So both F. Danker and L&N covered the figurative aspect of hODHGOS quite
adequately. At least equal to or beyond that of Friburg/Miller which I don't
not have here to compare.

You are right of course about using more than one lexicon. Thanks for your
comments.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew