[b-greek] Meaning of PAS

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@plantnet.com)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 09:25:23 EST

<x-flowed>
To: Aaron Hunyady,

<< My question: Am I correct in believing that PAS doesn't have to mean all
men who've ever existed, but instead can mean "some of every kind" or a
particular subset of "all" or something like that. >>

There is no justification for understanding PAS to mean "some," nor as some
"subset of 'all.'"

<< Their theory about PAS seems to be false, because of the meanings of the
word in verses such as 3 Jo. 1:12, Lu. 11:42, Mat. 10:22, and others. >>

What you have cited here are statements which are hyperbole. That doesn't
support the notion that PAS means "some." In fact, it is just the opposite.
For the hyperbole to work PAS must be translated as "all" or "every."

As for SWTHR PANTWN ANQRWPWN (1 Timothy 4:10), there is no justification
for taking this to mean "savior of some people." Rather the text clearly
means "savior of all people" (as the NRSV has it).

As for those messages which told you that you must understand 1 Tim 4:10 in
its context, none of messages which I read offered any grammatical
justification for understanding PAS as "some."

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@plantnet.com