[b-greek] Re: Meaning of PAS

From: Alan B. Thomas (a_b_thomas@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 09:26:59 EST

Aaron;

I have a response of a lexical/semantical nature on
this question you asked:

"My question: Am I correct in believing that PAS
doesn't have to mean all
men who've ever existed, but instead can mean "some of
every kind" or a
particular subset of "all" or something like that."

Reference that Jesus identified himself as Israel's
Messiah. He was not the CRISTOS to believers only.
One's belief, or lack thereof, did not change whether
or not he actually was the Messiah.

Semantically speaking, one could understand SWTHR in a
similar way as CRISTOS. Whether one places their trust
in Jesus as the SWTHR does not alter the fact that he
is the SWTHR of the world.

Some people may choose not to enter into a
relationship with the SWTHR, but I would find it
difficult to accept that Jesus' title "SWTHR" is
dependent on one's belief.

In fact, as the passage continues, he does have a
different relationship (MALISTA) with those who DO
believe. That is, there are two separate groups
identified in just this one passage.

So, I think one could understand PAS as "all"
(all-inclusive) depending on how they understand the
use of SWTHR.

That is my attempt to avoid any theological response
while suggesting how PAS as ALL INCLUSIVE could be
understood here without necessarily drawing the same
conclusion as these "universalists."

=====
Sincerely,

Alan B. Thomas

"the questions that rose out of the depths of the mystery
of Job were answered only by a deeper mystery....
that of God Himself." (Elisabeth Elliot)