[b-greek] Greek font design

From: Mike Sangrey (msangrey@BlueFeltHat.org)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 10:13:56 EST

rdecker@bbc.edu said:
> There is a major problem with our Greek font situation. There have
> been some major litigation threats over Greek fonts (believe it or
> not!). A certain publisher thinks they own the Greek font business
> and has put legal pressure on others. I'm in a quandary because I
> have 15 years of Greek documents/data in that font and it's an
> enormous task to reformat to a different font. (Perhaps this is
> exactly what this publisher wants!)

I personally think the names of these publishers should be published.
They should be held accountable for what they are attempting to do. They
are wrong! This list is probably not the place to publish that
information, but there are other ways.

> The Mounce font is not yet well
> polished for publication work, etc. (particularly kerning, though
> Bill is working on it as he has time). Other fonts are so very
> different in key mapping that it is a major chore.

Secondly, is there anyone on the list, or does anyone know of anyone, who
could help Mounce finish the font? If so, I would strongly encourage you
to please contact Mounce with that information. The Open Source movement
is also working, in a more general way, on opening this whole thing up.
--
Mike Sangrey
msangrey@BlueFeltHat.org