[b-greek] Fw: ENDIDUSKW

From: Cassian DelCogliano (cassian@holyroodguild.com)
Date: Sat Dec 16 2000 - 09:55:50 EST

> I'm reading Luke somewhere at the beginning of chapter 16 and have come
> upon the verb ENDIDUSW used as a present middle participle.

Er, that's Lk 16:19 and the imperfect indicative middle. That's what I get
for relying on memory.

Mark Wilson writes:

>In your passage, Luke 16:19, I would think the Imperfective Aspect,
> the Middle Voice, and the KAQ hHMERAN would combine to yield:

> "he would dress himself in X and Y ... each day"

> The Imperfective Aspect might call our attention, not to what he finally
> "put on," but on his daily routine OF GETTING dressed in these particular

> clothes, clothes that no doubt displayed his wealth.

I'm really curious about why the author of Luke chose to employ a verb with
two durative affixes (DI and SK), i.e. ENDIDUSKW rather than ENDUW. It
seems to me that using the more common ENDUW in the imperfect would have,
as far as I can tell, given the same meaning as you've suggested, 'he was
in the habit of dressing himself every day in purple and fine linen'.

What is the semantic significance of DI and SK? They don't seem
superfluous.

Could not the use of the imperfect indicative connote background
information for the narration of the parable of the rich man and Lazarus?

Much thanks,
Cassian DelCogliano