[b-greek] Re: Fw: ENDIDUSKW

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Sat Dec 16 2000 - 12:20:10 EST

>Dennis Hukel writes:
>
>> The DI- and -SK- are durative morphs. I call them durative prefixes and
>durative suffixes. One should be careful not
>> to confuse durative morphs with regular prefixes and suffixes (which
>affect lexical meaning). -SK- is the same durative
>> morph as -ISK- in other verbs (the I is absorbed into the previous U).
>Many verbs have only one durative morph, but
>> some have 2 like ENDIDUSKW.
>>
>> There is no special meaning to durative morphs. They only indicate the
>Present and Imperfect tenses. The progressive
>> aspect has the same basic grammatical significance in all verbs whether
>they use durative morphs or not. The context
>> will decide if these tenses are truly "linear" or just the basic
>"emphasize the action itself".
>
>This seems to answer my question somewhat. I didn't realize that some
>verbal affixes (like the durative morpheme) affect aspect and others
>(called 'regular' above) affect lexical meaning. I am still curious as to
>why a native Greek speaker/writer would employ ENDIDUSKW as opposed to
>ENDUW if they basically mean the same thing when used on the present and
>imperfect tenses.
>
>Still curious,
>Cassian DelCogliano

Luke 16:19 ANQRWPOS DE TIS HN PLOUSIOS KAI ENEDIDUSKETO PORFURAN KAI BUSSON
EUFRAINOMENOS KAQ' hHMERAN LAMPRWS

Compare with Mark 15:17 KAI ENDIDUSKOUSIN AUTON PORFURAN

I think that what we have is the verb stem DU which carries the idea of
"going in" and with the prep. EN attached forms its first principal part by
either adding N to the stem or reduplicating DI + iSK. In comparing the
uses of the two in the present or imperfect in the NT I cannot see any
difference that the morphology makes in meaning. When you look at ENDUW
without the N or DI-SK form, you can find no example in the present or
imperfect.

Note that the eg. in Mark above is an example of Mark's so-called "historic
presents." Hence, its "imperfect" aspect is lost.

Carlton L. Winbery
Fogleman Prof. of Religion
Louisiana College Box 612
Pineville, LA 71359