[b-greek] IDIOMS

From: Wayne Leman (wleman@mcn.net)
Date: Wed Dec 27 2000 - 13:25:48 EST

Myron responded:

> I suppose Jesus should have done more field testing on the disciples
before
> he spoke in John 11:11-14.

Field testing is a scientific process conducted on products before they are
released to the market. Field testing is carried out on computer software,
many consumer items, and it is a required part of the Bible translation
process when we translate for Bibleless people groups. Field testing
conducted on English versions shows that they often rank quite low on
accuracy of communication. Jesus was doing something special (rhetorical)
with language in John 11:11-14, something which he could do as he spoke in
Hebrew (some would say Aramaic) because he and his audience both understood
the Hebraic euphemism of "sleep" for "die." English lacks that euphemism.

> How would you translate these verses to
> "preserve the original meaning?"

This question goes beyond the scope of topics for the b-greek discussion
list but we would more than welcome this question on the Bible translation
discussion list. It is an excellent question, Myron, and there are good
answers.

>It seems to me that you lose meaning if
> you do not translate this strictly literally and let the reader wrestle
with
> the idiom.

Yes, I agree with you that in that passage we need to keep some literalness.
The passage itself guides the reader toward understanding of the Semitic
idiom, but in many other passages of the Bible (such as in the Corinthian
passage addressing abuses of the Lord's Supper), there are no such clues to
the rhetorical usage of the Semitic idiom.

> Doesn't the phrase "he is asleep" carry implications about life
> after death that "he is dead" does not?

No, that is not the purpose of euphemisms. If the semantics of the lexical
item contain an meaning element in which life after death is an important
component, then we have a more complicated figure of speech, not a simple
euphemism. Think of it in terms of English, which I assume is your native
language. What are the implications about life after death or any other
issue not directly related to death itself in the following English idioms?

He has expired.
He passed away.
He kicked the bucket.
He went to Davey Jones' locker.