[b-greek] Re: article beginning a clause?

From: Mike Sangrey (msangrey@BlueFeltHat.org)
Date: Sat Dec 30 2000 - 15:34:45 EST

Suedaleg@aol.com (please include full name; thanks) said:
> I would like to know your comments on this construction
>
> Luke 9:46 reads EISHLQE DE DIALOGISMOS EN AUTOIS, TO TIS AN EIH MEIZWN
> AOUTWN.

First, I would translate this as:
  An argument started among them: namely, who would be the greatest.

The word `namely' gives the clause its nominative weight, I think.
Also, I would suggest the reason TO doesn't agree with DIALOGISMOS
is because Luke is thinking in terms of the topic of the paragraph,
not in terms of the argument. The words are definitely pragmatically
related, but both are not focused on the same thing.

clayton stirling bartholomew <c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net> replied
> When the constituent TIS AN EIH MEIZWN AOUTWN is made into a
> substantive by the addition of a prefixed TO the next logical question
> is what function does this constituent have in the higher level
> structure and how does the presence of TO alter the state of affairs
> in the structure above the level of clause?

> This is my attempt at restating the original question which I think
> remains unanswered at this point. I do not know the answer.

The DE is also rather interesting.

Anyway, EISHLQE DE DIALOGISMOS EN AUTOIS is a point of departure, and
then, it appears to me, the nominative clause states the focal topic.
The reason I think DE is interesting is because I understand it to
mark development. How does this paragraph develop the previous topic?

An even more interesting question, if I may suggest so, is what
happens at verse 49. There is NO boundary marker other than John
entering into the discourse frame. We have another DE so it appears
we have further development, but how are the paragraphs (if indeed
they are paragraphs) related? Is Luke implying that the fact that
non-enemies also serve the desired end turn the greatest-least cline
into something which is irrelevant? And, the hUMWN of verse 50 tells
me Jesus is stating an aphorism which, I think, also helps dismantle
the greatest-least mentality. That is, a general principle doing
battle with a generally accepted way of viewing the world.

Luke 9:49-50:
APOKRIQEIS DE IWANNHS EIPEN, EPISTATA, EIDOMEN TINA EN TWi ONOMATI SOU
EKBALLONTA DAIMONIA, KAI EKWLUOMEN AUTON hOTI OUK AKOLOUQEI MEQ' hHMWN.
EIPEN DE PROS AUTON hO IHSOUS, MH KWLUETE, hOS GAR OUK ESTIN KAQ'
hUMWN hUPER hUMWN ESTIN.

--
Mike Sangrey
msangrey@BlueFeltHat.org