[b-greek] Re: article beginning a clause?

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Sun Dec 31 2000 - 14:24:16 EST

Carl Conrad wrote;
>A not un-similar usage is that in Eph 2:8 THi GAR CARITI ESTE SESWiSMENOI
>DIA PISTEWS: KAI TOUTO OUK EX hUMWN, QEOU TO DWRON, where (as I see it,
>anyhow) the TOUTO refers back to the whole clause THi GAR CARITI ... DIA
>PISTEWS, and NOT (as some want to argue) to one particular noun in that
>clause such as CARITI or PISTEWS. Latin does something very similar in a
>not altogether similar fashion by putting a QUOD in front of a clause and
>then using the clause as a noun clause in a larger argumentative structure;
>the QUOD will be translated in such a construction as "the fact that ..."
>or "that ..." or "as to the fact that ...". I think that hINA + subjunctive
>clauses may often function as such noun clauses also in Koine Greek (and
>they are at least as often substantival clauses as they are clauses of
>purpose or result).

The Eph. 2 passage is a good parallel even though it does not have the
article. It reminds us that the article is itself a demonstrative and is
often used in place of the demonstrative, TOUTO. Hence, the Eph. passage is
more parallel (?) than it at first appears. Interestingly the article has
almost replaced the demonstratives altogether in modern Greek.

Carlton L. Winbery
Fogleman Prof. of Religion
Louisiana College Box 612
Pineville, LA 71359