[b-greek] Re: EPI as "near"

From: Bill Barton (phos@prodigy.net)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2001 - 01:36:12 EST

Mark Wilson wrote:

MW>Mark 2:26 EPI ABIAQAR ARCIEREWS>

MW>[Dr. Wallace] The NET here is bolder than the NIV which implies a
broader chronological timeframe: "In the days of Abiathar the high priest,"
even though the Greek most likely cannot be taken so broadly.>

Luke 4:27 has a similar expression, epi with the genitive, "in the time of
Elisha." It seems that Mark 2:26 could be similarly translated. See the
new BDAG (I got mine too!) p. 367, 18.a.

MW>[Dr. Wallace] The NET's translation of this verse is: "how he entered
the house of God when Abiathar was high priest and ate the sacred bread">

That also seems to be an acceptable way to translate it, viewing the verb
"to be" as understood.

If both translations are grammatically acceptable, then it seems one has
two options:

1) Find a translation that preserves the ambiguity and hence allows both
meanings.

2) Speculate which meaning the writer intended and translate accordingly.

I'd guess the NIV committee decided that it was actually Ahimelech rather
than his son Abiathar that David dealt with in the temple; and they were
inclined to give Mark/Jesus the benefit of the doubt; and therefore they
translated this as a prolepsis, "in the days of Abiathar the [well-known]
high priest."

Bill Barton