[b-greek] RE: SUNH added to DIKAIOS

From: Iver Larsen (alice-iver_larsen@wycliffe.org)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2001 - 05:53:41 EST

> The following statement appears in the same article by Dr. Wallace that I
> referenced
> in my previous post:
>
> ------
> Should the genitive CRISTOU be regarded as objective or subjective?
> Virtually all modern English translations regard it as an objective
> genitive, both in Rom 3.22 and the other Pauline texts: "faith in Jesus
> Christ." This is so in spite of an increasing number of scholars who, in the
> past few decades, have argued for a subjective genitive— "the faithfulness
> of Jesus Christ."
> ------
Although this is not an answer to Mark's query, I have found Douglas Moo's
discussion of this both thorough and convincing. Since this is one of the most
recent commentaries on Romans (1996, NICNT) he interacts with this alternative
interpretation that has been gaining favor in the past few decades. His
conclusion is that the genitive is objective as virtually all translations have
taken it to be, and he has strong arguments for it.

Iver Larsen