[b-greek] Re: NET Bible, . . yawn

From: Michael Burer (burer@bible.org)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2001 - 22:10:06 EST

Before I begin the true text of my message, I want to thank Carl for
allowing me to post this even after the thread was closed. I also want to
recognize publicly Carl's point that issues like the merits of specific
translations are best handled on the Bible Translation list, not B-Greek.
That being said, here is my response to recent postings about the NET Bible:

As the assistant editor for the NET Bible, I would like to respond to
Clayton's recent postings which mentioned the NET Bible (for obvious
reasons).

The implication that the NET Bible either relies upon or focuses upon
"context free" information is absolutely incorrect. One big distinctive that
I am quite proud of is our system of footnotes. They explain the
translation, provide extended discussions of interpretive and exegetical
issues, provide the reader important background information, and discuss
text critical issues. Our goal is to provide readers information which in
fact gives them context in which they can understand the text so that they
can then engage the text more readily. We hope to provide a better and
larger context for Bible reading than has been supplied before by other
translations. Sure, most Bible readers do not have the broad framework which
biblical scholars have; they don't have the extensive knowledge to
understand all the implications which arise if we mention a verb's mood or
tense, for example, but the notes give them information to begin forming
this framework and to understand better why a particular word, phrase, or
verse was translated the way it was. The other alternative--no notes
whatsoever--does not advance biblical literacy or honest and valuable
interaction with the text as we want to do. We cannot make every reader a
biblical linguist, but we can educate them about certain issues so that they
know more than they did before they began reading our translation.

In short, I think the NET Bible is a great translation and a useful tool for
understanding the Scriptures. I am happy to interact further on the NET
Bible with those who have other questions or comments about the project. As
per Carl's request, off-list is best.

Grace to all,
Michael Burer
Assistant Editor, NET Bible
Ph.D. student, Dallas Theological Seminary