[b-greek] ZHTEW compared with EKZHTEW

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2001 - 23:14:24 EST

<x-flowed>

Acts 17: 26b, 27a

hORISAS PROSTETAGMENOUS KAIROUS KAI TAS hROQESIAS THS KATOIKIAS AUTWN
ZHTEIN TON QEON

Romans 3:11

OUK ESTIN hO SUNIWN
OUK ESTIN hO EKZHTWN TON QEON

[The following question is worded a bit too theological for my liking;
hence,
OFFLIST responses may be more appropriate. I have tried to
keep it LEXICAL/SEMANTICAL, but I think I was unsuccessful.]

In Acts, certain circumstances and events have been arranged so that
people might ZHTEIN TON QEON. Yet in Romans, we are told that
none EKZHTWN TON QEON.

Does the EK in EKZHTWN make a substantial difference, to the extent
that perhaps ZHTEIN TON QEON does not imply a "diligence." (I note that my
UBS Lexicon gives EKZHTEW the meaning to "search diligently.")

Thank you,

Mark Wilson