[b-greek] Re: NET Bible, . . yawn

From: Eric Weiss (eweiss@gte.net)
Date: Thu Jan 04 2001 - 08:38:03 EST

Maybe they called it the "NET Bible" as a pun on "Internet" and then
found themselves forced to come up with words for the acronymn, hence
"New English Translation." Yes, "new" can be a problem and it seems that
EVERY Bible translation (or at least many of them) has "New" in the
title somewhere.

Maybe they should just drop the "N" and call it the "ET Bible" - as in
"E.T., the Extra-Terrestrial" (from the Steven Spielberg film - which,
to this day, I have never seen). After all, don't we claim that the
Bible is a message from an "extra-terrestrial" Source or Being? <grin!>

For all the on-line electronic Bibles you could ever want, check out
this site:

http://www.internetdynamics.com/pub/vc/bibles.html

It even has a link to Aryeh Kaplan's THE LIVING TORAH on-line, both in
English and in Hebrew-English - invaluable for all its notes and
references to Talmudic sources: http://bible.ort.org/intro.asp?lang=1 (I
have a hardcover edition).