[b-greek] RE: Interlinears, Analyticals and E- Bibles

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 05 2001 - 14:39:26 EST

At 11:44 AM -0700 1/5/01, Clayton Javurek wrote:
>Clayton Javurek
>E-MAIL: javurek@asu.edu
>
>There are just a few persons (and they will always be few in number)
>who do their Greek the old fashioned way like Solomon,Smith,Barney - they
>earn it!
>
>99.99% of human beings are just like water and electricity:
>Take the path of least resistance.
>
>Given those facts, it is a waste of time to lament over or trying to turn
>the tide of human nature when these electronic tools of Bible study
>are marketed. Information is no longer the privilege of an elite group
>of scholars or professionals. Technology has put tons of info at
>the fingertips of John Q Public. Just ask those who work with
>financial investing. John Q Public can get up to date info
>on the financial markets as fast as can any professional. The info age
>is here and there is no turning back. Stop crying over spilled milk.

Yes, and there were the days before books when most people had to list to a
Biblical text read out loud from a lectern; I don't think it makes a great
deal of sense to lament the fact that we've moved into a new technology and
that it affects the way scholarship and serious study are engaged in to a
considerable degree. What we must learn to do is to maximize the
opportunities of the new technology and note the perils of it. The first
great adventure confronted by the tradition with which we are concerned was
re-formulating it into the categories of the Greek language with all the
vast possibilities for good and evil that entailed.

Really I don't think this is the proper forum to lament the fact that we
live in the 21st century; while I think we must become as fully as aware as
we can, as we can become aware of them, of the perils involved, but I
hardly think that we can reject the computer revolution and nod our heads
and assert to all the world that it is surely a sad day for New Testament
scholarship and serious biblical study; I rather think it's exciting.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu