[b-greek] RE: Interlinears, Analyticals and E- Bibles

From: Marilyn Phemister (mphemister@kscable.com)
Date: Fri Jan 05 2001 - 20:32:02 EST

<x-flowed>
At 01:39 PM 01/05/2001 -0600, you wrote:

>hardly think that we can reject the computer revolution and nod our heads
>and assert to all the world that it is surely a sad day for New Testament
>scholarship and serious biblical study; I rather think it's exciting.
>
>Carl W. Conrad

I'm a little late getting into this thread and haven't read all the posts,
but I am truly surprised that anyone -- especially anyone using a computer
to discuss Greek with Greek scholars -- would look with disdain upon the
computer as a tool for learning the language and studying the Bible in Greek.

I learned Greek the hard way before computers came into vogue. Frankly, I
see no great virtue in turning pages of a lexicon to try to find a Greek
word when you don't happen to know the meaning or the root, or chasing
cross references or looking up entries in a concordance when you can do the
same thing with a click.

Somehow this makes me think of the difference between harvesting wheat with
a sickle and harvesting it with a combine. Isn't the important thing
getting what you need to make bread? Isn't a combine obviously the most
efficient way to do that?

When it comes to Greek, I think the important thing is learning the
language to be able to use it to study the Bible. If we are honest about
it, we will have to admit it is a struggle to get to the place where Greek
is a language to us and not a series of a word puzzles. I think Bible
software and all the wonderful tools to help us get to that place can take
YEARS off the time it takes to become truly comfortable with the Greek New
Testament and LXX.

Since I have difficulty seeing at times, I am grateful for the computer
because I can turn on my Logos software and enlarge the print to a size I
can read on the screen when I can't see a thing on paper.

I don't mean to add fire to the debate. I simply had to speak my piece and
say I thank God constantly for the technology that makes so much
information as close as a mouse click away. Yes, we must learn to use it

wisely. But isn't it wonderful that it is there?

Marilyn Phemister

Marilyn Phemister's
Greek New Testament audio files:
http://windpoet.bigfreepage.com