[b-greek] RE: Interlinears, Analyticals and E- Bibles

From: Jonathan Robie (Jonathan.Robie@SoftwareAG-USA.com)
Date: Sat Jan 06 2001 - 17:37:11 EST

<x-flowed>
At one level, this comes down to the design of specific features in the
software.

It is not harmful, IMHO, to be able to find the definition of a word by
clicking on it and pulling up a lexicon. How is that worse than looking up
the word in a book? Some would argue that the extra effort of having to go

to the shelf and leaf through the pages may encourage people to learn their
vocabulary. If this advantage exists, then it is probably more than offset
by the availability of flashcard programs to drill vocabulary and morphology.

Is it harmful to be able to get the morphological parse codes for a word by
waving a mouse over it? If you never learn to actually parse the forms for
yourself, then you are clearly limited to reading the Greek on the screen,
and to using an analytical process that is different from normal reading.
On the other hand, if this feature allows you to read things you could not
have read before, perhaps because you do not recognize a specific form,
then it increases your exposure to reading real Greek prose. All to the
good. *However*, I find it tremendously irritating that most software
programs I have used do not allow me to navigate from a verb in the text to
a table in a morphology that explains how I could have recognized the verb
form for myself. And from there, I would like to be able to navigate to a
flashcard program that allows me to drill myself on that form...

Jonathan