[b-greek] Re: Why One of 1050 members lurk

From: Dale M. Wheeler (dalemw@teleport.com)
Date: Tue Jan 09 2001 - 14:04:00 EST

<x-flowed>
Lew:

When you finish first year Greek (wherever you're taking it now), come on
over to Multnomah and take second (reading), third (syntax and exegesis),
and fourth (Hellenistic and Classical grammar and reading). And we'll
teach you all of the "scholarly" jargon as well, so that you too can amaze
and confound others just like we do...(-:

But seriously, while learning the jargon/terminology and having the time to
keep up in the grammars, commentaries, and journals are all good means to
being able to continue to develop your understanding and "feel" for Greek,
you are doing the one, best thing...reading/translating. It is the number
one thing that most students don't get a chance to do in a significant
enough quantity while in school and the number one reason that a high
percentage stop using their Greek when they get into the ministry...they
simply can't read. They are, for all intents and purposes, grammatical
experts in a language they can't read or understand. My encouragement to
you is keep reading and the rest of the info will come to you and you'll be
able to understand and use it most effectively.

>From: Lewis Twist <Ltwist@leupold.com>
>Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 01:00:48 -0800
>
>One of the reasons I lurk and don't post is-Fear. Most,
>if not all of you guys are real scholars in an area of
>life I consider to be one or the most important endeavors
>of my life-2 Tim. 2:15, and I don't want to stand at the BEMA and tell Him I
>didn't rightly divide His Words
>because of stupidity and laziness. I'm a volunteer
>police chaplain and make my living as a security guard,
>and I've spent the last 2.5 years teaching 4 people to read the GNT and have
>only recently passed the first semester mark of first year Greek.
>Hopefully, within the next couple weeks there will be another class starting
>with more police-type people! I glean what I can understand from your posts
>and pass it on to my very eager students, but I don't post because I'm
>getting all I can handle from your correspondence. When I finish reading
>through the GNT this time, it will only be the 6th time, so I don't consider
>I've anything to offer more than that being discussed. Please don't bawl me
>out for feeling inadequate to post. Your general level of
>scholarship and your ability to express esoteric (to most) ideas IS
>intimidating, at least to me.
>

>Lew Twist
>Security Guard At Leupold
>14400 NW Greenbrier Parkway
>Beaverton, Or. 97006
>503-646-917
>Ltwist@leupold.com
>No web page

Dale M. Wheeler, Ph.D.
Research Professor in Biblical Languages Multnomah Bible College
8435 NE Glisan Street Portland, OR 97220
Voice: 503-251-6416 FAX:503-251-6478 E-Mail: dalemw@teleport.com