[b-greek] Phil. 3:12 (possible duplicate)

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 09 2001 - 13:45:33 EST

<x-flowed>

The following message was returned to me as
undeliverable. I am resending it.

Phil. 3:12

OUC hOTI HDH ELABON
H HDH TETELEIWMAI
DIWKW DE EI KAI KATALABW
EF hW KAI KATELHMFQHN hUPO CRISTOU

I note that ELABON is a transitive verb, without its object(s) provided.

My question has to do with how one goes about determining (eliminating or
including) grammatical object(s).

In the previous section, I am assuming that one or more
of the following could be supplied as the object(s) of ELABON:

CRISTON KERDHSW
hEUREQW EN AUTWi
TOU GNWNAI AUTON
THN DUNAMIN
KOINWNIAN
THN EXANASTASIN

Is it a general rule of thumb that if you can NOT grammatically
eliminate a possible object, you should assume it would be included in
the object(s) of ELABON? Hence, verse 12 would read:

"Not that I have already attained (all the aforementioned)"

Secondly, I note that the NET Bible takes the subsequent, parallel
phrase (??) as the object of ELABON:

"Not that I have already attained this--that is, I have not already been
perfected"

This seems like an odd use of the particle H to me. Is this kind of
usage attested elsewhere?

Thank you

Mark Wilson