[b-greek] Re: Scientific theory of aspect - To Rolf

From: Daniel Riaņo (danielrr@retemail.es)
Date: Tue Jan 09 2001 - 14:05:15 EST

<x-flowed>
Rolf Furuli wrote (one millennium ago):

> >In lexical semantics and word studies we distinguish between 'word',
> >'concept', and 'reference'. The 'word' is just a semantic signal which has
> >no meaning in itself, the 'concept' is the 'entry' in the mental lexicon
>>signalled by the word, i.e. the total range of meaning that a particular
>>word can signal, which is stored in our mind. The 'reference' is the thing
> >in the world denoted by the word.

        Sorry for coming so late to this very interesting thread, and
with empty hands. Given the delay, I won't ask the authors to come
back to the same issues, but I'll beg for a clarification. I am not
sure how widespread is, in lexical semantics, the view that "'word'
is just a semantic signal which has no meaning in itself", but since
"semantic" claims for a 'meaning', and every sign has at least some
meaning within a system, I'd like to ask: what kind of meaning has a
word, in your view?