[b-greek] Re:Dative as IO

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Jan 10 2001 - 04:33:52 EST

on 1/9/01 11:23 PM, Lewis Twist wrote:

> Thank you all for your encouragement! I will ask a question that has been
> "burning a hole in my pocket"
> for the last little while. To you folks who are 8 casers, does the Dative
> always have the the possible use of being the indirect object of the
> sentence?
>
> Lew Twist

Lew,

Not sure I understand your question. Let me try and rephrase it. Are there
instances of the dative where it cannot be the indirect object of the main
verb? I think the answer to this question is yes. There are instances of the
dative where it is inconceivable that it would be performing as an indirect
object.

It is quite possible that I have missed the point of your question entirely.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point