[b-greek] RE: Jn.4:24 PNEUMA / 1 Jn 4:8,16 AGAPH - FUNCTION

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Jan 11 2001 - 03:00:56 EST

on 1/10/01 11:35 PM, Steven R. Lo Vullo wrote:

> In each case the predicate nominative is what
> I would call "qualitative,"

Steve,

Yes, agreed.

But the qualitativeness of this particular use of the predicate nominative
is not information that is available from the syntax. The qualitativeness is
discovered by observing the semantic structure in which the predicate
nominative appears. The predicate nominative as a syntax structure does not
convey information about semantic distinctions like equative/qualitative
any more than the genitive case from tells us that it is subjective or
objective.

Your comment about John 1:1 appears to suggest that we can observe the
semantic issues in Jn 4:8 and draw conclusions about the semantic issues in
John 1:1 based simply on the fact that they use a similar syntactical form.
I think this is a fallacy. You are loading more meaning into the predicate
nominative construction than it will bear.

I need to go, it is getting late.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew