[b-greek] RE: hO QEOS in phi. 3:19

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@saint.soongsil.ac.kr)
Date: Sat Jan 13 2001 - 01:55:06 EST

[Moon]
> TOUS ECQROUS TOU STAUROU CRISTOU,
    (the enemy of the cross of Christ)
> > hWN TO TELOS APWLEIA (whose end destruction),
> > hWN hO QEOS hH KOILIA (whose God their belly),
> > KAI hH DOZA EN THi AISCUNHi AUTWN, (and their glory in their shame)---
    hOI TA EPIGEIA FRONOUNTES (those minding the earthly things)

> > Could I think that the author failed to keep track hWN (whose),
> > and says "their glory" rather than "whose glory".

[Steve]
> It would seem that KAI hH DOXA EN THi AISCUNHi AUTWN could be an independent
> sentence, especially since KAI doesn't join the other clauses. What do you
> think?

The last phrase hOI TA EPIGEIA FRONOUNTES seems to be an apposition to
the enemy of Christ. The inbetweening three clauses explain these
people. So, it looks like the third clause KAI hH DOXA EN THi AISCUNHi
AUTWN follows the pattern "A,B, and C". So, KAI joins the clause
with the previous two clauses. I think I wanted to ask

1) What happened to the third clause was because
the author failed to keep track of hWN?
2) What happened was because the author was bored of repeating
   hWN?
3) Or what happened was because it could be readily assumed
in Greek that hWN was omitted?

I doubt 3) the most.

Moon
Moon-Ryul Jung