[b-greek] re: Heb 1:6

From: Suedaleg@aol.com
Date: Sat Jan 13 2001 - 02:43:10 EST

OK..

I stand corrected on OIKOUMENH. My dictionary shows it as a passive
participle of OIKEW to inhabit. I checked its usage elsewhere (13 times in
the GNT) the breakdown of usages is (besides in Heb 1:6) of humanity 7
times, of governments 5 times, twice of God's government, twice of social
order, and in passages speaking of the Christ's return 3.
I think that in this case it could speak of His coming to humanity itself,
the context would not prevent it, yet I think it more likely it speakes of
the establishment of His reign. The passage of the quote (Deut 32:43 LXX)
speakes of this government and its establishment, not only of His coming to
humanity. Since the writer uses this quote consistant with that context, and
that the rest of his argument (the whole presents this household), I think my
understanding OIKOUMENH as a royal household is justifiable.

Thanks again for hearing me out on this one. I will welcome any more
evidence to help clear my view.

Dale Greenlee