[b-greek] Re: 1 Pet 1:1 Datives in apposition?

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@saint.soongsil.ac.kr)
Date: Sat Jan 13 2001 - 02:57:45 EST

Jim,

I see a very interesting sentence in front of me.
Hmn...
The versions I am familiar with seem to take the two verses as:

"To those elected [as] strangers of dispersion of X, Y, Z...
          according to the foreknowledge of God
          by means of the sanctification of the Spirit.... "

So, KATA PROGNWSIN QEOU is tken to modify EKLEKTOIS.
It seems to be the only way to take the verses because
EKLEKTOIS is the only predicate that can be modified by
adverbial KATA PROGNWSIN QEOU. But it does not seem so unnatural to make
the other adverbials "By the sancitication of the Spirit", "unto obedience
and the sprinkling of the blood of Christ" modify "elected".

ASV has the following:
 1Pe 1:1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the elect who are
sojourners of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and
Bithynia,
 1Pe 1:2 according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in
sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood
of Jesus Christ: Grace to you and peace be multiplied.

Here EKLEKTOIS is taken as apposition to PAREPIDDHMOIS. KATA PROGNWSIN
QEOU
is construed with PAREPIDHMOIS, so that we have "sojourners according to
the
foreknowledge of God by the sanctification of the Spirit unto
obedience and spirinkling of Jesus Chrit". But what does it mean?
Does it mean "sojourners who have become so according to the
foreknowlege of God,...."?

Moon
Moon-Ryul Jung
Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea