[b-greek] Re: Meaning of the perfect tense

From: CWestf5155@aol.com
Date: Sat Jan 13 2001 - 19:32:47 EST

Steve,

This was meant to be just a brief reply and I won't deal with every point. I
include a copy of your post below.

I think that you (understandably) have taken the term "traditional" to refer
to theology or both theology and grammar. I was only referring to the
traditional grammar versus the current challenges and discussion. I didn't
mean the "Calvinist view" when saying the word "traditional". I would not
assume that all Calvinist/Reformed theologians were traditional grammarians,
or that they all would handle Jn. 5:24 in the same way.

The reason that I put "permanent" in brackets was to signify that is not in
all traditional views--I guess that was a miscue. So I agree and already
understood that all traditional grammarians don't hold that view--but it is a
common fallacy to avoid.

The reason that the "state of death" is not viewed as equal in focus to "the
state of life" is because of the force of the perfect--it involves a
state/condition that comes about as a result of the action. The result would
be the state of life. The state of death would not be a result. If this were
an aorist, I'd see the same parallel states that you see--in at least one
instance of the aorist of METABAINW, the focus is on the place departed from
(Mt. 8:24).

About the "futuristic presents", etc--I have no big problem with what you
said. If you find a "futuristic present" plausible for ERCOMAI, that's OK
with me--you have good company. However, because of Jn. 3:18 in the preceding
context, where it says the one who does not believe is already judged NUN
(hey--perfect tense there too), I kind of hedge on buying a compeletly
futuristic sense. These verses seem to be closely related.

But by labelling the present tense as "process"--that is just another
application of aspect--open-ended action. I don't want to open another
discussion on that, but just so you know this was based on the application of
aspect to form. And this is not what I want to focus on, except for the
element of verbal opposition.

To say the actual time element of the perfect of passing from death to life
may be "omnitemporal" (or gnomic) as opposed to futuristic is not a big deal
in my mind. What I am saying, is that Jesus was not talking about a certain
historic guy who passed (in the past before Jesus' speech) from death into
life where he was residing at the time that Jesus was speaking (though there
may have been one). Most think that this was meant to apply primarily to what
would happen many times to respective individuals--to all who believe in the
present and future (and maybe the past too)--and that is why this verse has
posed problems for the traditional view of the perfect and why it has been a
focus of discussion.

I don't think that this passage causes any problems for Calvinists or
Reformed theologians. This passage doesn't contradict the theology in any way
that I can see. That wasn't the point at all, but I do understand why you
think it was and why you had this response.

I did say, however, that it is not justified to use the perfect tense in Jn.
5:24 as evidence of either permanency of salvation or the order of salvation.
That would have to be proven elsewhere.

Remember, this discussion is about what you could say about what the perfect
in Jn. 5:24 "means" and what it doesn't mean.

I apologize for equating 'perseverance of the saints' with 'permanency of
salvation' if it offends you--I link them in my mind, but understand that
there is a distinction.

Cindy Westfall
PhD Student, University of Surrey at Roehampton

In a message dated 01/13/2001 3:34:08 PM Mountain Standard Time,
doulos@chorus.net writes:

> [...]
[permanent]
> > consequences).
>
> I think adding "permanent" in brackets above may confuse and prejudice the
> mind of one inquiring into this matter. While SOME may have made the
mistake
> of inferring permanency from the use of the perfect, this is by no means
the
> crux of, or even the claim of, most of those I know who hold the
> "traditional view" (by which terminology you seem to be referring to the
> "Calvinistic" or "Reformed" view). Most of the people I know who hold to
the
> "traditional view" do not read permanency into the perfect tense. Rather,
> they have concluded from it the idea that those who believe have eternal
> life PRESENTLY. This is not in contrast to those who do not hold to
> "perseverance of the saints," but rather in contrast to views that propose
> one cannot be in a "saved" state presently. The idea of permanency (in this
> view) is rather based on KAI EIS KRISIN OUK ERCETAI (on which I will
comment
> below), in which ERCETAI is held to be a futuristic present (which it often
> is), and which, along with ECEI ZWHN AIWNION sets up the contrast (ALLA)
> with the clause in which the perfect in question is found. (I perceive a
> chiasm here.) I do not mention this in order to stir up a theological
> controversy or to argue one view of salvation over against another, but to
> simply be fair and to ensure that we do not set up straw men in this
> discussion.
>
> I wanted also to add something with respect to your quote of Rienecker. I
am
> assuming you are using an old edition, since the revised edition by Rogers
&
> Rogers is very different. For one thing, Schnackenburg is not quoted in
> support of "once saved, always saved" (which you go on to confuse with
> "perseverance of the saints"). Rather, his name is in parentheses after the
> comment "to go or pass from one place to another, to transform, to move
> one's living quarters." And the words "The perfect tense indicates the
> permanency of the step of salvation" are not found. What is found is the
> following statement: "Perf. indicates the completed state; the believer has
> passed into eternal life which begins here (Bernard)." So it seems that the
> deficiency to which you refer has been (rightly) corrected.
>
> > First of all, both Mark and Alex have discussed the significance of the
> use
> > of the prepositions EK and EIS with METABAINW, and I'm not sure that one
> > should place too much significance on this collocation, since it is used
> > elsewhere to denote changing residence (Lk. 10:7, and others such as
> > Josephus), which is parallel to the change of domains in view here, as
> > opposed to the travel verses that METABAINW normally occurs with in the
NT
> > (and usually in the aorist).
> >
> > As far as the idea of 'movement' being included in the
lexis--definitely,