[b-greek] Re: 1 Pet 1:1 Datives in apposition?

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@saint.soongsil.ac.kr)
Date: Sat Jan 13 2001 - 20:16:40 EST

[Jonathan]
> 1 Pet. 1:1-2
> PETROS APOSTOLOS IHSOU CRISTOU EKLEKTOIS PAREPIDHMOIS DIASPORAS PONTOU,
> GALATIAS, KAPPADOKIAS, ASIAS KAI BIQUNIAS, KATA PROGNWSIN QEOU PATROS EN
> hAGIASMWi PNEUMATOS EIS hUPAKOHN KAI hRANTISMON hAIMATOS IHSOU CRISTOU,
> CARIS hUMIN KAI EIRHNE PLHQUNQEIH.
> I would say that PAREPIDDHMOIS is modified by KATA PROGNWSIN, so that the
> recipients could take courage that their sojourning was not haphazard,
> but rather according to the foreknowledge of God. For the recipients,
> who were experiencing various degrees of persecution, this would have
> been a real comfort.

[Moon]

You assume that noun EKLEKTOIS PAREPIDHMOIS (chosen sojourners)
is attributively modified by three adverbials:
KATA KATA PROGNWSIN QEOU,
EN hAGIASMWi PNEUMATOS,
EIS hUPAKOHN KAI hRANTISMON hAIMATOS IHSOU CRISTOU.

As Carl often stated, adverbials do not modify nouns in an attributive
manner without the article in front of them. Moreover it seems quite
unreasonable to assume that a noun can be attributively modified by
such a long list of adverbials without any linking verb.

Anyway, according to your construction, how do you understand the
phrase

"chosen sojourners according to foreknowledge of God
                  by being set apart by the Spirit,
                  unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of
                  Jesus Christ"
?

According to Carl's theory of "attribution and predication",
the list of adverbials should be understood as predication
to chosen sojourners. So, he might suggest the following rendering:

Peter, apostle of Jesus Christ, to chosen sojourners (in X, Y, X,....)
[as being] according to foreknowledge of God, by being set apart by
the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of
Jesus Christ.

Moon
Moon-Ryul Jung
Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea