[b-greek] Re: 1 Pet 1:1 Datives in apposition?

From: Harold R. Holmyard III (hholmyard@ont.com)
Date: Sat Jan 13 2001 - 21:13:01 EST

Dear Moon-Ryul,

You write:

>> 1 Pet. 1:1-2
>> PETROS APOSTOLOS IHSOU CRISTOU EKLEKTOIS PAREPIDHMOIS DIASPORAS PONTOU,
>> GALATIAS, KAPPADOKIAS, ASIAS KAI BIQUNIAS, KATA PROGNWSIN QEOU PATROS EN
>> hAGIASMWi PNEUMATOS EIS hUPAKOHN KAI hRANTISMON hAIMATOS IHSOU CRISTOU,
>> CARIS hUMIN KAI EIRHNE PLHQUNQEIH.

>You assume that noun EKLEKTOIS PAREPIDHMOIS (chosen sojourners)
>is attributively modified by three adverbials:
>KATA KATA PROGNWSIN QEOU,
>EN hAGIASMWi PNEUMATOS,
>EIS hUPAKOHN KAI hRANTISMON hAIMATOS IHSOU CRISTOU.

I was taught that prepositional phrases can function as adjectives or
adverbs. In English prepositional phrases can serve in adverbial,
adjectival, or substantival relations to another word.

>As Carl often stated, adverbials do not modify nouns in an attributive
>manner without the article in front of them.

In English adverbs can also modify adjectives. Prepositional phrases seem
to be able to modify nouns without the article, too. We can say:

A book on the counter was in my way."

"On the counter" is a prepositional phrase modifying book, telling where it
was.

>Moreover it seems quite
>unreasonable to assume that a noun can be attributively modified by
>such a long list of adverbials without any linking verb.

What makes the verses less normal is that they are part of a formulaic
opening to a letter, an opening giving the addresses of the letter, along
with salutations. Perhaps we cannot expect completely standard phraseology
here.

It may be that there is an understood repetition of the key term of the
opening address: "elect."

Peter, apostle of Jesus Christ [writes]
to elect sojourners of the dispersion of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia,
and Bithynia
([elect] according to God the Father's foreknowledge, in the Spirit's
sanctification, for obedience and sprinkling of Jesus Christ's blood):
grace and peace be multiplied to you.

                                Yours,
                                Harold Holmyard