[b-greek] Phil. 4:13

From: Lew Twist (ljohn@beethoven.com)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 06:48:28 EST

In the referenced verse, our Brother Paul uses the word
ENDUNAMOVTI and the analysis is Part., Present, ACTIVE, Dative,
Masc., Singular. Now, if I've been correct in following the
thinking on the list regarding aspect and nesting, I'm
presented w an anomaly. Intrinsically the verse makes perfectly good sense until you consider the nesting concept
inherent in the root DUNAMOW, meaning to be made strong enought
from some source outside of your own resources-a passive concept. However, our Brother uses the active voice as if to
imply a sort of co-operative effort between himself and the
One Who endues. Why the active voice? Why introduce the
tension between the root and it's extended use?

Please send your responses to me at my registered address:
  Ltwist@leupold.com. I'm temporarily unable to send from work.

Lew Twist
14400 NW Greenbrier Parkway
Beaverton, Oregon