[b-greek] re: BDAG at Rv 3:14 - Christ was the first creation now probable

From: Suedaleg@aol.com
Date: Mon Jan 22 2001 - 02:17:31 EST

Dan Parker asked for comments on the posibility of Christ being created from
Rev 3:14.

I do not know what BGAD(?) says on the subject of ARCH = beginning or first.
I checked my Lex. (Mounce) and found primary meaning = beginning, then many
more implying govenment. One phrase is difficult to build a doctrine on.
Fortunately there are many more passages which touch on the subject of
Christ's relation to creation. Colossians 1:15-17 (PRWTOTOKOS), 2:10 (where
ARCH is used in conjunction with EXOUSIA and implies authority), Hebrews
1:2,3 readily come to mind. Iam sure there are more which undoubtedly show
that Christ, the Son of the trinity is the Creator, not a creation, and is by
right the ruler of creation.

When dealing with the subject of Jesus and creation, we must be careful to
give full weight to all the passages which touch the issue, and to interpret
what one says in agreement with all, the less clear by the more clear. In
Rev. 3:14 a word is used which has a range of meaning and that meaning must
be limited not only by the context (here there is little context) but to
agree with passages where the same subject is given with more clarity in the
words used.

I hope I have not become too doctrinaire on this list. Just a response to
the question of Jesus' position in creation.

Dale Greenlee