[b-greek] Re: "He who has ears... "

From: Marilyn Phemister (mphemister@kscable.com)
Date: Mon Jan 22 2001 - 15:21:14 EST

<x-flowed>
At 02:44 PM 01/22/2001 -0500, Ted wrote:
>hO ECWN WTA AKOUETW (Mt. 11:15).
> I've always thought this meant something like: "Let those who have
> the spiritual capacity to understand use that capacity to grasp the
> significance of what is being said." However, it seems to me that some
> versions (e.g., Phillips, CEV, TEV) make it sound
>more like: "If you have ears on your head, use them!" Where does the
>actual meaning lie; somewhere between these two extremes?

I hesitate to jump in and show my ignorance, but here goes. I wonder if the
present imperative of AKOUETW gives us a clue. I would suggest another
possible rendering (I hope not rending): "Let anyone hearing this keep on
listening, this is important." Or maybe it could be expressed in a modern
idiom, such as "Now here this," or "Read my lips."

Marilyn Phemister

Marilyn Phemister's
Greek New Testament audio files:
http://members.nbci.com/mphemister/