[b-greek] Re: "He who has ears... "

From: Suedaleg@aol.com
Date: Mon Jan 22 2001 - 18:27:19 EST

Hey guys - -

Here is my two cents on the translation of this phrase. BTW it appears many
times in the gospels as well as once in each of the letters to the churches
in Rev. 2 and 3.

Translate it literally "let him who has ears . . " and explain it in the
classroom or sermon. The idiom as equivalents in English. One such colorful
conversion id CB lingo from the 1970's "You got your ears on?" meaning "Are
you listening?"

I think that it is possible to deliberately wash the color out of the text by
trying to explain the ideom in the text. Let the readers (if they have eyes)
use their imagination to fill in the color of our Lord's speach.

Just my 2 cents

Dale Greenlee