[b-greek] Phil. 2:6

From: RELLIS01@aol.com
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 08:19:08 EST

hOS EN MORFHi QEOU UPARXWN OUX ARPAGMON HGHSATO TO EINAI ISA QEWi

The New World Translation renders this, "who, although he was existing in
God's form, gave no consideration to a seizure, namely, that he should be
equal with God." I hold that the translation of the authorized version is
better, which reads thus: "who, being in the form of God, thought it not
robbery to be equal with God." I am trying to figure out what the sentence
would look like were it trying to say what the NWT implies.

Robert Ellis
Church of Christ
Elizabethton, TN

[Moderator's note: PLEASE keep discussion on this verse focused
upon matters of the meaning of the Greek and not broader issues
about any specific Biblical version or issues of doctrine,
"orthodox" or otherwise. The text itself, I might add, is loaded with
ambiguity and I have had my own say on questions about this verse
in messages in our archives which are pretty rich in discussions of
the so-called "Christ-hymn" of Philippians 2. cwc]