[b-greek] Re: BDAG at Rv 3:14 - Christ was the first creation now probable

From: One of the McKays (musicke@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 18:41:04 EST

Greg said: [big snip]
 ... it is hard, if not reasonable impossible, to escape the conclusion
that God created through Christ.

Agreed. But in the 2 passages I cited we read:
PANTA DI AUTOU EGENETO, KAI CWRIS AUTOU EGENETO OUDE hEN. [John 1:3]

and in Colossians Paul gives us a comprehensive statement that all things
were created through Christ, ending with:
TA PANTA DI AUTOU KAI EIS AUTON EKTISTAI

So Christ is seen as the Creator, not a creation.

This is why I can't accept Rev 3:14 as saying that he was created.

I can never see the relevance of the verse about wisdom in Proverbs, or why
it featured so much in discussion about Christ. Off the top of my head, I
can't think of anything messianic in Proverbs.

When I dismissed the meaning "ruler of God's creation" in Rev 3:14, I had
forgotten Rev 1:5, I am ashamed to say, which does link closely with Rev
3:14. I now see why the translation "ruler" is found in some versions.
[Though of course in 1:5 it is ARCWN and in 3:14 it is ARCH]

David McKay
musicke@ozemail.com.au