[b-greek] Re: BDAG at Rv 3:14 - Christ was the first creation now probable

From: HARRYJ (jharry@szczecin.cc)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2001 - 02:46:55 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>
To: "Biblical Greek" <b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2001 2:22 AM
Subject: [b-greek] Re: BDAG at Rv 3:14 - Christ was the first creation now
probable

> This thread has already, I think, crossed the line over into theological
> territory; IF it is to continue at all, it is going to have to stick
> tightly (i.e. more tightly than it has thus far) to Rev 3:14 and not range
> abroad into Christology and NT Christological texts in general. At any
> rate, discussion on B-Greek needs to remain focused upon the Greek text at
> hand, and not range more broadly into general Biblical or doctrinal
> interpretation.
>
> --
> Carl W. Conrad
> Co-Chair, B-Greek List
> Department of Classics, Washington University
> One Brookings Drive/St. Louis, MO, USA 63130/(314) 935-4018
> Home: 7222 Colgate Ave./St. Louis, MO 63130/(314) 726-5649
> cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad@ioa.com
> WWW: http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~cwconrad/
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: [jharry@szczecin.cc]
> To unsubscribe, forward this message to
leave-b-greek-327Q@franklin.oit.unc.edu

I agree with your injunction not to import theology into b-greek
discussions, and myself I try to respect it. I think, however, that if only
the linguistic aspect were to be discussed, there would simply be no
discussion at all, as from the language point of view the matter is quite
clear, 'Christ is the beginning of creation', which means that he is God's
first created being. This is a shock to those who believe in the trinity
doctrine, which says that Christ is eternally co-existent with the father,
and they try to invent some other meanings of a word like ARCH, in order to
explain things away. It is difficult to keep language and theology apart
after all, especially in cases like this one. As you will have guessed, I am
one of the minority Christians, who reject the trinity doctrine. The guys
who were 'right' lost the battle many centuries ago, but the majority is not
always right.
I do not expect the above to be published in the public b-greek, as I want
to stick to the rules, but I think there is no harm in individual b-greek
members trying to discuss things like christology etc. with each other in a
smaller circle. I have tried to contact Wes Williams in this matter, as he
seems to be the sole person who is in agreement with me, but I got the
message that the e-mail address is wrong. Could you make an exception and
forward my mail to him, even though it cannot be published in the open-forum
b-greek? I will send this letter to you as a separate one. Sorry for
troubling you

Henryk Jedraszczak
Szczecin,Poland

By the way, will you please forward all b-greek mail to a different address
of mine, as I am going to abandon my present main address, because there to
many breakdowns in the server and the connections. The address is
harryj@poczta.onet.pl.