[b-greek] RE: The implication of OU ... ALLA in ROm 6:14

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@saint.soongsil.ac.kr)
Date: Sun Jan 28 2001 - 08:15:11 EST

Dear Iver,
thanks for taking time to respond to my post. I am familar with
the line of interpretation of Romans which you indicated in your response.
I am experimenting a new line of interpretation of Romans in view of the
so called New Perspective on Paul and Law.

In the process of doing it, I take some verses in non-traditional ways.
I want to know if that is syntactically permissible.

In this particular case, I want to paraphrase Rom 6:14 as follows:

> Paul: Sin shall not be the master of you (Gentiles).
> > Implied Questioner: why? We (Gentiles) do not have the Law,
                        which tells not to sin.
> > Paul: I know you are not under the Law. But you are under Grace.
> > That's why.

The point of this paraphrase is that the point of Rom 6:14b is
not "you are not under the Law" but "you are under Grace".
The fact that "you are not under the Law" is mentioned as a psssing
comment.

I would like to know if this interpretation is grammatically
possible?

Moon
Moon-Ryul Jung
Associate Professor