[b-greek] Re: "Syntactical Chiasmus"

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Sun Jan 28 2001 - 17:41:28 EST

Steven Craig Miller wrote

<omit>

>At Philemon 5, the NRSV translates: "because I hear of your love for all
>the saints and your faith toward the Lord Jesus," whereas a more literal
>translation might be: "because I hear of your love and faith[fulness],
>which you have toward the Lord Jesus and for all the saints."
>
>The Greek text has:
>
>(A) AKOUWN
>(B) SOU THN AGAPHN
>(C) KAI THN PISTIN,
>(D) hHN EXEIS
>(E) PROS TON KURION IHSOUN
>(F) KAI EIS PANTAS TOUS hAGIOUS.
>
>The NRSV has taken B and joined it with F and taken C and joined it with E
>based on (what I call) a "Syntactical Chiasmus," whereas a more normal
>reading of this syntax would take B + C as dependent upon A, and E + F and
>dependent on D. What justification is there for NRSV's understanding of
>Greek syntax at Philemon 5?

I have not dealt much with chiasms, but I would point out that the NRSV is
not the first to change the word order of this verse. The printed text in
the N-A27 is
AKOUWN SOU THN AGAPHN KAI TAN PISTIN, HN ECEIS PROS TON KURION IHSOUN KAI
EIS PANTAS TOUS hAGIOUS

Codex Claromontanus along with P61vid, six minuscules, a few other mss, two
old Latin, mss of the vulgate, Syr.p; and Ambrosiaster has

AKOUWN SOU THN AGAPHN KAI TAN PISTIN HN ECEIS EIS TON KURION IHSOUN (CHRIST
D) KAI EIS PANTAS TOUS hAGIOUS

This makes the sentence read so that the reader can relate faith to the
Lord Jesus Christ and love to both.The comma in the N-A27 may be to make
the same possibility for translation. The NRSV could have read the comma
that way or it could be following D*.

The syntax is cumbersome and the exact intent not clear. This would furnish
additioonal evidence that the text as printed is the original.

Carlton L. Winbery
Fogleman Prof. of Religion
Louisiana College Box 612
Pineville, LA 71359