[b-greek] Re: "Syntactical Chiasmus"

From: Steven Craig Miller (stevencraigmiller@home.com)
Date: Mon Jan 29 2001 - 09:47:36 EST

<x-flowed>
To: Iver Larsen,

<< The Matthew 7:6 is generally accepted as a Hebrew chiasm, partly because
hRHXWSIN refers to tearing apart, a word that fits wild dogs better than
domesticated pigs. >>

But why assume that it was a cute little domesticated pig? Why not assume
that it was a wild boar? I'm not a farmer, and I know nothing about the
raising of pigs, but I have been told that even domesticated pig can be
dangerous and life-threatening to humans. Furthermore, the basic meaning of
RHGNUMI is "break asunder" (LSMJ). And while BDAG states that it can also
mean "tear in pieces," BDAG also cites a passage from Aesop where this verb
is used of a swine. I see no reason to justify the the action discribed in
the verb hRHXWSIN fits dogs better than pigs. And why assume that the dogs
are "wild," but not the pigs?

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
stevencraigmiller@home.com