[b-greek] Re: Grammar question in Luke 3

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 02 2001 - 11:27:53 EST

At 11:01 AM -0500 2/2/01, Jeff Smelser wrote:
>Carl Conrad replied to Ken Litwak and said in part...
>
>>This is one of those instances
>> where the old-fashioned distinction between attributive and predicate
>> positions of AUTOS comes into play:
>
>Just a couple of days ago, I rejoined the list after an absence of about
>three years. My question is this: What do you mean when you refer to this
>distinction as "old-fashioned" but as coming into play in this instance. I
>think of this distinction as fundamental. Is my understanding a bit too
>simplistic? Are you indicating that in other instances the distinction is
>not so clear, or am I reading too much into your comment?

You might want to look at the recent archives, specifically January 20-24
with subject-header "Predicative/attributive - position and function" and
most recently January 28-30 with subject-header "Adnominal & Adverbial
Position?" The last statement was to the effect that what traditionally
have been called Predicate and Attributive postions would better be called
OANG and WANG (for "outside-article-noun-group" and
"within-article-noun-group" respectively. I suppose one could as well call
them "YIN and YANG" but I personally still feel it serves a useful
pedagogical purpose to call them "Predicate" and "Attributive" positions.
But you do need to look at those exchanges to get a sense of what this is
about.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu
cwconrad@ioa.com
http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~cwconrad/