[b-greek] Re: adj. or adv. in James 2:24

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@saint.soongsil.ac.kr)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 11:04:05 EST

> At 12:34 AM -0500 2/12/01, Moon-Ryul Jung wrote:
> >> Mark wrote...
> >>
> >> James 2:24

> >> Moon wrote...

> >> [Alan]
> >> I think Mark's suggestion preserves the TWO
> >> JUSTIFICATIONS being contrasted; Moon's translation
> >> seems to be viewing ONE JUSTIFICATION from 'two
> >> different ways.' James is not disputing a
> >> justification by faith (vs 23). (Note only that James
> >> quotes from Gen. 15 in this verse, not Gen. 22)
> >>
> >> I tentatively would opt for the implied verb as Mark's
> >> translation has it, but also wonder ...
> >>
> >> From a grammatical view, is there any material
> >> difference had MONON preceded the prepositional
> >> phrase?
> >>
> >[Moon]
> >OU MONON EK PISTEWS makes OU negate MONON
> >so that the rendering would be:
> >
> >and (justified) not only by faith.
> >
> >This in fact conveys the same as Mark's rendering:
> > and not only (justified) by faith.
> >
> >The above analysis seems to imply that the rendering of
> >the original as "and not (justified) only by faith"
> >[is] the intended meaning.

[Carl]
> Am I missing something here? I think that Moon is right to say that MONON
> governs/limits EK PISTEWS in this instance, but even if the elements were
> to be arranged as OU MONON EK PISTEWS, the OU would STILL be governing the
> implicit verb DIKAIOUTAI and the meaning would, I believe, still be the
> same, as Alan asserted.

[Moon]
Right, Carl, OU MONON EK PISTEWS and OU EK PISTEWS MONON mean the same.
But we need to decide where to position the implied verb DIKAIOUNTAI
relative to OU MONON EK PISTEWS/ OU EK PISTEWS MONON, either (1) or (2):
(1) (justified) not only by faith.
(2) not (justified) only by faith.

If we accept (1), we would have: justified not only by faith but also
by works.
If we accept (2), we would have: justified by works, not just by faith.

Is there any way to resolve this problem?

Moon
Moon-Ryul Jung
Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea