[b-greek] Negation

From: Keith Thomson (keitht@kneptune.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 10:36:12 EST

Hi!
  I'm one of the many 'lurkers' who never join(s) in discussions here.
One of the reasons is that I'm uncertain whether my questions are
suitable for discussion here and are sometimes a bit theological, or if
not I usually find the answer before I get around to asking (often by
reading responses to other people's questions).
 My current problem is with the New World Translation at Philippians 2:6

 hOS EN MORFHi QEOU hUPARCWN OUC hARPAGMON hHGHSATO TO EINAI ISA QEWi

 This is discussed a lot in 'Greek Grammar Beyond The Basics', but I
don't think it says anything about 'OUC hARPAGMON hHGHSATO' being
translated as 'gave no consideration to a seizure'. I thought OU/MH
negates what immediately follows it and to be translated this way it
would have to say 'OUC hHGHSATO hARPAGMON' or 'hARPAGMON OUC hHGHSATO',
how exactly does negation work and is this a possible translation?

 Thanks for any help,

 Keith Thompson (Manchester, UK)
 keitht@kneptune.demon.co.uk

--