[b-greek] Re: adj. or adv. in James 2:24

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 21:41:15 EST

"Moon-Ryul Jung" wrote;

<omit much striving>

>I am sorry that I was not so clear.
>
>We have hORATE hOTI EX ERGWN DIKAIOUNTAI ANQRWPOS
> KAI OUK EK PISTEWS MONON.
>
>I agree with you that it would make no difference even if we have
>OU MONON EK PISTEWS instead of OUK EK PISTEWS MONON. But there seems to be
>an issue how to interpret the sentence.
>
>(1) We can supply the implied verb and parse it as follows:
>
> hORATE hOTI EX ERGWN DIKAIOUNTAI ANQRWPOS
> KAI [ OUK [EK PISTEWS MONON DIKAIOUNTAI] ].
>
>(1): man is justified by works and not (justified only by faith). It
>negates
>the claim that man is justified only by faith.
>
>(2) We can think that the original sentence means the same as follows:
>
> hORATE hOTI [EX ERGWN KAI OUK EK PISTEWS MOMON] DIKAIOUNTAI ANQRWPOS
>
>(2): man is justified by works and not just by faith.
>
> It turns out that both interpretations mean the same thing.
>
>But in general, these two ways of construing OU, e.g. negating the whole
>proposition (equivalently, the verb phrase) and negating other parts of
>it
>(e.g. adverbials), should not be the same. Here, we have the same results
>because the verb DIKAIOUNTAI is the topic whose means the author wants to
>talk
>about: the issue or focus in question is its means: whether by works as
>well or only by faith. So, from the viewpoint of discourse analysis, OU
>here
>negates EK PISTEWS MONON rather than the whole clause EK PISTEWS MONON
>DIKAIOUNTAI.

This seems to me to be very strained. I find that most of the time in the
NT OU(K) negates the verb. In this case I see no problem with seeing
DIKAIOUNTAI as understood (a common phenomenon in Greek and in English) in
the second clause and OU as negating that verbal idea. In fact no other way
seems possible to me. Hence, "You see that a man is made right with God by
works and (is) not (made right) by faith alone."

Carlton L. Winbery
Fogleman Prof. of Religion
Louisiana College Box 612
Pineville, LA 71359