[b-greek] Acts 2:1 Come or Fully Come

From: Terry Pruitt (terrylpruitt@netzero.net)
Date: Sun Feb 18 2001 - 20:45:46 EST

    While I rarely read the KJV Bible anymore, but it was pointed out to me that the
KJV translates the word SUNEPLHROUNTO as "fully come". In Acts 2:1 the NIV translates
the word SUNEPLHROUNTO simply as "come". While I hold no special trust in the KJV
version over any other translation, I have looked up the word SUNEPLHROUNTO my handy
lexicon, Moulton, and checked out all its occurrences in my On-Line Bible.

    SUNEPLHROUNTO does means to "come". In the New Testament it is used three times,
all three times by the writer Luke. When he uses it in Luke 8:23 it is translated as
"filled" in KJV and "swamped" in the NIV. It made me wonder if the word has a
connotative meaning of "a moment of expectation." Three occurrences of a word is not
enough times to really determine how it was used in New Testament times. In order to
really check out how the word was used, I suppose one would have to look how other
ancient writers used the word.
    Can some of you more mature in the Greek way check me out a here? Is there a
connotation of expectation in the word SUNEPLHROUNTO? In other words, are the
translators of the KJV justified in saying "fully come?"

Terry L. Pruitt

Shop online without a credit card
http://www.rocketcash.com
RocketCash, a NetZero subsidiary