[b-greek] hUSTEREW etc

From: JKandJWilk@aol.com
Date: Wed Feb 21 2001 - 07:27:19 EST

<x-html>
<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>I would like to thank all of the members of the b greek community for their
<BR>responses to my inquiry. &nbsp;I think that the most likely relationship of
<BR>hUSTEREW and hUSTERA was that proposed by Alex Hopkins. &nbsp;He suggested that
<BR>the latter term (meaning uterus) derived from the former, meaning "to come
<BR>behind or later" in all of its connotations. &nbsp;This relationship may be
<BR>spacial, or temporal. This has led me to ponder these relationships. &nbsp;If
<BR>spacial, it must be an anatomic relationship and I wonder just exactly which
<BR>structure the uterus was thought to be behind. The intestines perhaps? The
<BR>bladder? &nbsp;I'll see if there is an etymology text more medical words at the
<BR>medical school library. &nbsp;If it refers to a temporal relationship, the only
<BR>possible thing this is likely to refer to is that the menses "come late" in
<BR>pregnancy.
<BR>
<BR>Any further thoughts?
<BR>
<BR>James Wilk, MD</FONT>
---<BR>
B-Greek home page: http://metalab.unc.edu/bgreek>
You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: [
jwrobie@mindspring.com]<BR>