[b-greek] Re: EPIOUSION

From: HARRYJ (harryj@poczta.onet.pl)
Date: Thu Feb 22 2001 - 00:11:35 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "hugo castellanos" <hcastellan@hotmail.com>
To: <harryj@poczta.onet.pl>
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2001 6:04 PM
Subject: EPIOUSION

> HI:
>
> In the NT occurs only in the Lord's prayer in Mt 6:11. Linguistically is
> difficult to fix the meaning with any precision. The participial stem
gives
> one possible clue EPI+IOUS+IOS BECOMING ON THE ANALOGY FROM "EKWN" GIVIN
THE
> MEANIN OF "FUTURE OR REGULAR. or as is appropiate to us".
> Hugo Castellanos

thank you for the e-mail. I agree with you as far as the linguistic aspect
goes, and this is something I have already stated in my contribution e-mail
to b-greek: the problem will probably never be solved. But this has
confirmed me in my view that even in linguistic interpretation one cannot do
without reference to the overall teaching of Christ, and so it seems to be
in this case. I summed up the result of my twenty years' or more search to
discover the meaning of the verse(s). I think it does matter a little
whether we pray for material or spiritual bread. As for the former, Christ
told us not to worry about it, and gave us the example of birds; so it must
be the latter we are to pray for. This is confirmed in Christ's own comment,
as I tried to prove in my 'paper', but also some people in the past past
held this opinion. I have abandoned the Catholic interpretation of Christ's
religion, but I remember from the times when I still studied some Catholic
saints that Santa Teresa de Avila is one of those; she firmly stated in her
comment on the Lord's Prayer that she strongly doubted if Christ told us to
pray for material bread; she gave no linguistic reasons, so it must have
been spiritual intuition that guided her. What do we have in Spanish now? I
have only one Spanish translation of the NT, in modern Spanish 'Dios habla
al hombre' (I know very little Spanish, but enough to be able to check how a
verse has been translated into Spanish).
Matthew 6:11, 'Danos hoy el pan que necesitamos'
Luke 11:3, 'Danos hoy el pan suficiente para este dia'.

This proves that the translators made some effort to get out of the rut in
translating this verse, although it is not quite exact yet.
> You have written to me off-list, but I think you won't mind if I send a
copy to the open b-greek forum; there is an interesting discussion on Bible
translation just going on now, so this might be the right moment, even
though it concerns a particular verse. No matter how general the theory we
are discussing, practical examples are always necessary.

With best wishes
Henryk Jędraszczak
harryj@poczta.onet.pl

[Moderator's note: any on-list responses to this message should
be restricted to the question regarding the meaning of EPIOUSIOS
and should steer clear from larger questions about "the overall
teachng of Christ." cwc]