[b-greek] Re: pistis+gen.

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@saint.soongsil.ac.kr)
Date: Sat Feb 24 2001 - 19:24:24 EST

Dear Harry,

> I do not have much to say in the matter of PISTIS + gen. linguistically =
> yet I somehow feel the need to lay my cards on the table and declare =
> myself in the matter, 'take sides' in other words.
> To me, PISTIS IESOU CRISTOU is always 'the faith of Christ'. 'Faith in =
> Christ' is something like 'PISTIS EIS IESOUN CRISTON' in Greek, and both =
> forms can easily be compared even in one single verse, Galatians 2:16, =
> the latter as 'EIS IESOUN CRISTON EPISTEUSAMEN' (gen.+accusative).

The construction of Gal 2:16 is a verb phrase. But we are talking
about noun phrases, which tend to be more compact than verb phrases.
Isn't it reasonable for people to reduce "EIS CRISTON EPISTEUSAMEN"
into "PISTIS CHRISTOU"? I am not saying that PISTIS CRISTOU should be
understood as "faith in Christ", but that the argument based on the
related verb phrase is weak.

Moon
Moon-Ryul Jung
Sogang Univ,